Invokana Lawsuit

The Gallagher Law Firm is currently prosecuting cases involving harm that may have been caused by the diabetes drug Invokana (Canagliflozin).  If you think you have been harmed by Invokana and need an Invokana Attorney, call (888) 222-7052 or contact us online

What is Invokana?

The drug Invokana (Generic name: Canagliflozin) is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels; it works by helping the kidneys get rid of glucose from your bloodstream. Invokana is used together with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes exclusively.

How Invokana Works

Invokana is an inhibitor of subtype 2 sodium-glucose transport protein (SGLT2), which is responsible for at least 90% of the renal glucose reabsorption (SGLT1 being responsible for the remaining 10%). Blocking this transporter causes up to 119 grams of blood glucose per day to be eliminated through the urine, corresponding to 476 kilocalories. Additional water is eliminated by osmotic diuresis, resulting in a lowering of blood pressure.

This mechanism is associated with a low risk of hypoglycaemia (too low blood glucose) compared to other antidiabetic drugs such as sulfonylurea derivatives and insulin.

Possible Side Effects, Dangers & Lawsuits

Lawsuits have been filed stating the manufacturer of Invokana failed to warn patients and physicians of the increased risks of:

  • kidney failure
  • myocardial infarction (heart attacks)
  • various cardiovascular issues
  • ketoacidosis

The lawsuits state that if the manufacturer had properly warned of the risks, patients would have been prescribed a different medication for their diabetes, and certainly would have had their health monitored on a more frequent basis for potential signs of heart issues, renal impairment, and high level of ketones.

Contact Us — Free Consultation

If you think you have been harmed by Invokana, contact The Gallagher Law Firm at (888) 222-7052 or contact us online for a free consultation.